Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize the little things were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Dear Grandpa

Grandpa, you have always been amazing. My memories of you are unparalleled to any experience any little girl has. They stem from running from the waves together on my first trip to the beach, wearing my freshly purchased Minnie Mouse sweatshirt to listening to Julio Iglesias and Karen Carpenter while driving to Truckee all while playing the ABC game. You protected me (at least that's what you claim... I think you were trying to beat me into the house) from the B.B.D. I remember the smell of your laundry room in Los Gatos and our annual trips up there to visit you. Kelly and I always looked so forward to them. It was partially because we were able to hog you and Grandma completely to ourselves, and partially because we knew we would be spoiled far more than we ever deserved.
As I grew, my memories of you changed. You became that fun, cool grandpa who would slip me some cash to buy some new jeans. I knew it wasn't about the money. It was your way of telling me that you loved me. You were always sure to recognize my achievements, always there to support me. It always put a smile on my face to hear stories about me. They made you laugh that high pitch laugh EVERY time!!
You finally lived closer to us. How fun!! Every time I came home from college I came to visit you. I watched you hopelessly flirt with my friends or the pretty waitress. All the while, Grandma would roll her eyes and laugh at you. You always offered your sound advise... whether solicited or not. :) And, my goodness, it was your way or the wrong way. So stubborn you always were!! Believe it or not, it was one of the endearing thing about you.
When Bryan came into my life my respect for you grew even more. You loved him like he was your own. You were just as proud of him as I was and that meant SO much to me. You bragged on him to your friends and always made sure to tell me how much you admired him. I will NEVER forget walking into that sealing room at the temple that rainy day in March and seeing you and Grandma there. That moment is what made me cry. Before we walked in the sealer asked if I was ready to start my eternity. Most brides would say yes, as long as their future husband was there waiting. I said yes as long as my Grandparents were there. And you were. In the front row. Right where I could see you.
Now, don't get me wrong, you definitely pissed me off from time to time. But, again, that's what makes you so awesome. You want only the best for me and you spoke your mind until you thought I was convinced on doing it your way.... well, I guess now would be a great time to tell you, I usually ignored it. Not always... just sometimes... :) I never did end up earning that $100 from Uncle Cory... maybe in the next life.
My love for you changed yet again when I became a mother. Oh my goodness, how you LOVE my children!!! I am COMPLETELY convinced you love them the most! You adored them. You laughed at their silliness. They could even get you snorting. You would sit on the hearth at my parents house and just beg them to come to you. To sit by you and play with you. You bought them things. Thoughtful things. Things they loved. Carter still carries around the wallet Granky gave him.
It happened so much faster than I thought it would. You told us all not to cry when you left but I can't help it. You mean so much to me and I love you more than you could ever imagine. It hurts having you gone. I know you're happier now but you were suppose to stay long enough for me to trick out your walker, remember? I hate watching Grandma be sad. I hate laying in bed and crying because I know it will be a long time before I see you again. I hate that you won't be serenading me again. I hate that all I have are memories now. Nothing new. I won't see you when I am in town anymore. I already have a Christmas present for you.
I hope I always made it clear how much I love you. Above all else, I love you. And so does Bryan. And so do my kids. I am eternally grateful they know you. I'm so happy Preslee got a chance to meet you in this life. I bet she knew what was coming before the rest of us. I promise we'll take care of Grandma for you. She's really sad but claims she'll be okay. I'll call her more often. Maybe we can get her out here to visit every now and then.
I miss you Grandpa. One plus, now you and Violet get LOTS of one on one time!! Is she still as ugly as ever? I love you Granky. Watch over us, ok? And stay close to Grandma. We all miss you but she misses you the most.
Love, Jennifer







9 comments:

Tami said...

So precious. Sorry for your loss - hugs to you and the whole fam. Those pictures made me love Granky too.

The Prigmore Family said...

This brought tears to my eyes. Love you and your family. Thinking of you guys during this time.

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry to hear this... :( PLEASE let me know what I can do for you during this time.

Emily Ferrell said...

Jen- That was such a beautiful post. I hope you will find some joy and peace during the holidays. I'm sure your Granky will make sure you do.

The Brown Family said...

Beautifully said, Jen. I know this is a hard time but you and your family will lean on each other and get through it. You are right, your Grandma will need you all more but she is lucky to have such a wonderful, loving family. She will be fine because she has all of you. If you need to talk, I am here. I know how you are feeling and I know that the hurt is real. Love you guys. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I remember meeting "Granky" and he sure had a soft spot for you. (And I think that spot was right in the middle of your palm, and he often filled it with $20's!) What a blessing to have those pictures with your kids before he passed.

Matt said...

So I have never met your Grandpa, but now I wish I had. You should know i'm totally bawling right now! literally! Maybe it's the hormones, but mostly it's because he sounds like such an amazing person and that was so beautifully well written. I'm so sorry for your loss, and thinking of you! This is Brooke by the way signed in under Matt :) call me sometime!

Momma Malia said...

Jen, we are both truly sorry for the loss of you Grandpa. He did seem like such a wonderful man when we ment him, and he slipped us some cash! How wonderful that your kids have such good times to remember him. We're thinking of you.

katie said...

Sweetest post Jen. We are thinking about you guys during this difficult time. You are in our prayers-love ya