Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize the little things were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Traditions

Every winter growing up my mom made pumpkin bread. Those who know my mom know that she isn't much of a cook, but pumpkin bread was her specialty. She makes THE BEST pumpkin bread in the world. When I smell it it takes me back to being a kid. Every Christmas morning while we tore through all of the presents we undoubtedly didn't deserve we ate loaf after loaf of fresh out of the oven pumpkin bread.
I am happy to say that is a tradition I have carried on. I don't know if my mom noticed it became a tradition but it was something I always looked forward to. My kids feel the same. They know the smell.... they love to make it with me... they BEG me for it the moment I pull it out of the oven. I don't even think about NOT doubling the recipe. Preslee, at the ripe old age of 16 months will walk over to the counter where she knows the bread is a mere 6 inches away and sign "please" and scream her little red head off until I give her some. (Don't worry, I make her stop screaming and ask me nicely before I hand it over.)

I love love love my mom's pumpkin bread. I hope it's a tradition I pass along to my kids.
Addilyn even likes the batter... gross...
Cooking away...

The finished product BEFORE the kids get their grimy hands on it. (Don't you like how I blame the quick disappearance on the kids and not on Bryan or myself? :))

No comments: