Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize the little things were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Best Day EVER!

Ok, it's not really the VERY best day ever because I have gotten married to be most perfect human God has ever created and I have birthed two of the cutest kids in the history of the universe.... BUT aside from those few exceptions, this day was pretty darn awesome. Bradley is FINALLY home from Calgary, Canada (and yes, I have caught him using "eh" a few times).
The day started out less than perfect with a call from my mother-in-law at 7:00am. Bradley was suppose to get home at 11:45 in the afternoon that day. Instead, some moron CANCELLED his flight. Honestly. EVERY single missionary got to go home EXCEPT him! Needless to say, Maureen was... ummm.... bummed? The church was kind enough to book him the next flight that would get him home to his anxiously awaiting family at 8:15 that night. There were a few things that made this harder. 1) Waiting 2) Cranky kids 3) Bryan had to work. He already had patients lined up so he couldn't be there. (Although he had the morning off so he could be there at the original time.)
Anyway, we made sure of course to be at the airport with bells on (and Addi took an AWESOME nap so she was happy). It was So great to see that cute kid again. It's so cool to see how missions change these boys. Bradley's always been a really great person but now he's that same great person with this gigantic testimony and life just seems more in perspective. (like maybe drums don't always come first.)
Carter was SO cute at the airport. Noelle was holding him and when Bradley came to hug them Carter just held onto him for dear life. He laid his head on Bradley's shoulder and was immediately obsessed with his returned uncle. The entire way home, Noelle and I had to convince him that Uncle Bradley isn't going home "far far away" again. When Carter finally believed us he wanted to know if Bradley could live with us. Now when we go over there if Bradley leaves the room Carter immediately follows him. (I know, annoying... we're trying to get it under control and teaching him that he doesn't need to go with Bradley to the bathroom...)
Addilyn on the other hand had to warm up. When Bradley tried to hold her at the airport she slapped him. Yep. Slapped. His hand. Twice. Two times. What a turkey, huh? In her defense, it was way past her bedtime. Instead of holding her he gave her a pass along card with a picture of Christ on it (cue: dorky returned missionary eye roll). Bradley has since won her over. She adores him just as much as Carter but is slightly less possessive.

I must say that no one is happier to have Bradley home than Maureen. She was BEAMING... and crying, like any mother would. When we got back to the Wyeths after the airport, Bryan was there waiting for us. Because my father-in-law is in the Stake Presidency, Bradley was able to be released at home. It was awesome. It's been a while since I have had a brother return from a mission. This brother was different than my own brothers for a few reasons. 1) I had to win him over when I married into the family. He didn't like me. Seriously, you can even ask him. 2) I'm a adult so I better appreciate the sacrifice he has made. 3) I have watched him grow from a teenager into a very spiritual, handsome, and fun man (man: that sounds weird when talking about Bradley) 4) I am so happy that Bryan gets to be by a brother since Ben lives so far away.
Bradley brings such a fun and bright atmosphere to the Wyeth home. It's always wonderful there but now it's just more complete. I just can't imagine how empty it must have felt for my poor mother-in-law while he was gone (when any child is on a mission) and we're all so glad he's home. Hopefully it will be a while before he gets a girlfriend, ties the knot, and ditches out on the family. Who knows, maybe I'll return the favor and not like her at first just the way Bradley didn't like me. :)


Carter was SO helpful when hanging the "welcome home" sign.
Carter and "Uncle Omi". He will NOT call her Aunt... no clue why.


You can see the shock on Bradley's face with Carter wanting him. He thought he would be scared of him at first. Nope. Quite the opposite.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing the moment with us. That is such a great picture of Carter cuddling up to Bradley. So sweet!
WELCOME HOME BRADLEY!!!!

Shenna said...

It must be a thing with missionaries returning home from Canada because Jeff actually missed his connecting flight (I think the story goes that he was talking to a girl...) and didn't get home until later that night. The poor mommies of these boys! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing that with those of us who couldn't be there. I love that Carter is so attached to Bradley even after two years of being absent.

Anonymous said...

these are so cute except the the one of me and my face is all smooshed

Anonymous said...

these are so cute except the the one of me and my face is all smooshed