Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize the little things were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Fire Station

While we were in California last week we went to visit my cousin Neal and his cute little family. His wife and their two kids (including 2 week old baby!!) met us at Neal's work. Neal is a fire fighter. The guy's amazing. He always has been. I'm sure I've driven him crazy since we were kids but he's my cousin so he HAS to love me.
You know when you're kids... or teenagers, and you watch your stud of a water polo playing cousin vomiting in your toilet late one night from... never mind, we won't go there... anyways, you know when you're younger you wonder who will do what with their lives. I'm proud to say that Neal is one of the MOST amazing people I have EVER met. His only rival is his beautiful Italian, excuse me, Sicilian, wife. So, Neal is now a brave firefighter. I am SO proud to be associated with him; to be related to him. He has a heart of gold, amazing taste in women (always has), and is one of the VERY cutest Daddy's in the world. (obvious exception: Bryan.)
He let us have a tour of his Fire Station. When I say "tour" I mean, he let Carter put on all of his fire fighter clothes (and I got THE cutest pictures), gave both of my kids little fireman hats and stickers, gave Carter an "honorary firefighter" shirt that I can barely peal off him, and most exciting, took us all on a ride in the fire truck. They even let Carter sit shotgun and wear the head set. (3 year old sitting shotgun... safety first, I guess. :)) My only complaint is that I wasn't there for the shooting of the Fireman Calendar. HA! But I did ask if they had any fireman outfits for sale at their gift shop I could buy Bryan. I got a big eye roll from Bryan. Hey, a girl's gotta ask, right? (I just don't get why they don't have gift shops there...) Anyways, that truck ride was HOT! Don't they have AC in those things? I guess it only gets hotter where they're headed.
I can honestly say that it was the highlight of Carter's California trip (and we even went to Disneyland). When he grows up he wants to be a "fireman dentist" and now waves and yells, "Hi, Uncle Neal" EVERY time we drive by a fire truck. It's THE cutest thing ever.
I am so glad my kids are getting to know Neal. He and his two brothers and sister were the cousins we grew up with. The rest of my cousins were all over the world. We lived by the McCann's for most of our lives. All of those kids have turned out amazing... but they all have chosen kind of dangerous professions. (poor Sandie and Ted) Family is so important and watching Neal and his siblings make it through the challenges they have faced the last few years has been heartbreaking and amazing. They are some of my very favorite people... even if they do have an affinity to writing ALL over themselves. :) I LOVE them all!!









(get comfy, Addi... we wouldn't want to put you out at all...)

5 comments:

bethany said...

Those pictures of Carter in the uniform are amazing!! how I wish I had your talents....

Natalie said...

I LOVE those pictures. It makes me want some of my boys...I'll have to file that idea in the back of my brain somewhere and remember to become good friends with a fireman.

Unknown said...

I LOVE THE PICTURE OF CARTER WITH THE HEADSET SITTING IN THE ENGINE...TOO CUTE!! AND THE ONE WITH CARTER AND ALL THE GEAR ON REMINDS ME OF A PICTURE OF NEAL WHEN HE WAS A KID WITH ALL OF THE FIRE GEAR ON! WHO KNOWS MAYBE HE'LL BE A FIREMAN TOO- OH EXCUSE ME A FIREMAN DENTIST...LOVE IT!

Ben said...

What a treasure those pics are! ~J

Unknown said...

Jen the pix are wonderful! You are underestimating the impact of this trip to the fire station on his life. Did this with Neal at three, and now look at him ... all he ever wanted to do after that was be a firefighter (missed the dentist part)! Very proud of him, and all the kids ... just wish they would have listened to me more when I said stop drop and roll, and don't play with guns! Two who run into burning buildings, and a daughter who carries an M16 ... quite the parental track record! hugs, MBA