Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize the little things were the big things. ~Robert Brault

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Survival!

For those of you sick of hearing about the fires, stop reading now. I think this will be my last post on the fires, but I will be adding some pictures. I know I have written a lot about these but my entire hometown is/was in flames so it's a big deal to me. Plus, this is MY journal. :)
Things on the home front are great. My parents have been home but aren't sleeping there. The house stinks really bad. They aren't allowed to open windows for a few weeks because of the air quality. Those of you who know my mom know how much that is asking of her. (I'll believe it when I see it.) The carpet is COVERED in suet (spelling?) by the doors and under the skylights. They made a run over to Kelly's house (which now belongs to my grandparents). It IS standing. The one to the left of hers and down the street are all burned. Her plants are gone. The people to the right of her and the right of them are there but everything is gone from there up the street. Across the street from her, about 1/2 the houses made it. Crazy. I don't know about Fabian and Kimber's house yet. I know my parents were trying to get in there but didn't know if they were able to when I last talked to them. When I called Fabi's house I got the machine, which is a live machine so I think their house is still there. Their neighborhood was VERY badly hit though... we'll see.
I am still so amazed that my parents house made it through this. Even the dumb bird, Pickles, is still alive. (darn!) Too bad you can't take cookies to Heavenly Father. My mom owes him a HUGE plate of them!!
Here is Kel's house. Hers is the one on the right. The one on the left wasn't so lucky. Seriously, that breaks my heart for her neighbors.
Another update from Cory and Lexine:
Family and Friends, As of 10:45 a.m. here in Serra Mesa, 92123, all is well. And it seems things are improving county-wide. The winds are more calm -- which is the most influential factor -- and our noble firefighters seem to begetting the upper hand. Whew. Lex and I remain completely safe and calm, and we might even begin slowly reintegrating ourselves into our normal lives today, if circumstances allow.... In other local family news, Chris and Les are safe, but they were evacuated very early (middle of the night on Sunday) and to my knowledge they still do not know if their house survived. Yeesh. Mom and Dad must be telepathic, because they were already over in the desert before the conflagration began; all indications as of now imply that their home at La Costa Glen is fine. We plan to assume -- cautiously -- that things will simply wind down from here, and no news from us is therefore good news. (I will of course write again if anything changes radically.) Thank you all so much for all your concern and love and well wishes. We felt you all here with us, and that helped immensely. So! We now return to our regular programming.... C&L

6 comments:

Tami said...

Seriously - how old is that dumb bird?? Ha - good to know Pickles is OK. I can't believe how many we know were so blessed to have their house come out untouched. I'm so relieved for everyone. And thank goodness for all your fire posts, Jen! They, along with Katie Neuenswanders', Jacob Davies, and the Humberstones have helped keep me pretty informed through everything! I'll be sure to visit your parents after things settle down...

HEIDI said...

So glad to hear your family and Becky's family are all okay and that their houses survived the fires. I would love to see pictures on here. I keep thinking what if something like that happened to our neighborhood...okay, I can't go there :) Have a good day!

Missy said...

Jen, I have been checking in on your "fire updates". So glad to see how blessed your family has been. Don't stop updating.

And P.S. Someday you might see me again, not this week though cuz Stake Conference...I am sure you miss my presence...right?! Totally kidding.

Jessica said...

Thank goodness. We've all been praying!

Stew and Traci said...

Jen thanks for the info and I too am glad to hear that your family has been protected. Small miracles do happen!

Annie Ruden said...

Thanks for the posts. We've been wondering whether or not your parents were effected by all the fires. Crazy stuff. Glad they're all safe.